It’s been far too long since I’ve posted a fresh new recipe for you guys! Ever since I started making desserts for my client who is staving off sugar I’ve had a blast coming up with healthier versions of my favorite desserts. These truffles are refined sugar-free, gluten-free and vegan. They are healthy enough for breakfast and decadent enough for dessert because they’re really just glorified date and nut bites. You won’t be able to eat just one - they are so addicting! I like eating them straight outta the freezer one luxurious bite at a time. Or you can go for it like my client and throw a whole truffle in your mouth! Go ahead. I won’t be offended. ;)
HEALTHY + DECADENT CHOCOLATE COVERED TRUFFLES (V, GF)
2 c pitted dates
2 c nuts and/or seeds of choice (I used whole flax, raw almond, and raw cashew)
1 c shredded unsweetened coconut (if you don’t want to use coconut, add in an extra 1/2 of nuts or seeds)
1/2 t himalayan pink salt
2 T raw cacao powder + 4 T more
4 T coconut oil (i like the kind that comes in a glass container)
1-2 T maple syrup or monkfruit sweetener
Splash of vanilla extract
Optional topping: pink salt + edible rose petals
TRUFFLE DOUGH DIRECTIONS
1. Soak 2 cups dates in hot water until soft.
2. Pulse together 2 cups of your favorite nuts and seeds
3. Add pitted soaked dates, 2 T cacao, splash of vanilla extract and 1/2 t himalayan pink salt and blend until a dry dough forms.
4. Dump mixture onto a large sheet of parchment paper and ya the paper to form the dough into a large flat brick about 1/2”-1” thick. You can also roll them into balls but this is such a time saver and makes cute cubes!
5. Slide onto a plate and stick it in the fridge or freezer (wherever you have space) for ~10+ minutes.
6. Once hardened cut into cubes and set aside.
CHOCOLATE SHELL DIRECTIONS
1. Over a double boiler, melt 4 T coconut oil and 4 T raw cacao powder (you can add a splash of vanilla in you want) with 1-2 T of maple syrup or monkfruit. You may need to double this recipe.
2. Use 2 spoons to roll each square in the mixture, sprinkle with pink salt and rose petals (or coconut!) and set on parchment into fridge or freezer to set for about 15 minutes.
**these keep in the freezer, and honestly taste best straight out of the freezer, for 3-4 weeks**
If you’re in the Boston area and would like to order custom desserts I am now accepting orders! Fill out this form to get started. Perfect if you’re wanting to reduce refined sugar in your diet, want healthier desserts for you and your family, or need a dessert to bring to an event.
Not sure where to start on your health journey? Schedule a free phone consultation here.